THE BHS Managing Committee was established in 1942 by a group of eminent educationists and philanthropists and was registered as a non-profit body dedicated to the cause of education Its first concern was to concentrate on programmes essential for educating young boys and girls in Bangalore. Thus, Secondary and Pre-University course which form the basic foundation for employment and career opportunities were given prominence in the beginning.
In 1942, the first step was taken by establishing the Bangalore High School in a rented building at Visveswarapuram, Bangalore. Under the stewardship of its President-Late Rao Bahadur Professor B.Venkateshchar, Retired Director of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, and the dedicated efforts of the Secretary Late Dharmaprakasha L.S. Venkaji Rao, a prominent businessman, the Managing Committee started the Vijaya College in 1945 in the same premises with the present Pre-University courses. During the next ten years, the college moved into its own building in Chamarajept, thanks to the generosity of His Holiness of Sri Sringeri Mutt.